This hearty dish is a firm favourite in our house, I am not usually a fan of cooking with alcohol and the White Wine can be left out if needs be, however, for the cooking aroma alone I would leave it in. No need to buy anything expensive either, it is the vital ingredient here. Also, the Crème Fresh adds a tang to the dish, if you are not a fan of this, try double cream as an alternative or a Plant Based Alternative to make this dish Vegan. My personal preference is my recipe below, however, the fun of cooking is tweaking things here and there to maximise the experience and make it your own.
250g of Chestnut Mushrooms
250g of Regular White Mushrooms
1 Large Brown Onion
A healthy pinch of Cayenne Pepper
1 teaspoon of Paprika (smoked is fine)
2 / 3 cloves of garlic (dependant on size)
3 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
2 Teaspoons of Dijon Mustard
1 vegetable stock cube dissolved in 200Ml of hot water.
200Ml of Crème Fraiche
A handful of Parsley
150Ml of cheap white wine (Optional)
- Finely chop the onion & garlic
- Add 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil to the pan and heat, then add the chopped onion & garlic.
- Fry for about 5 minutes or until the onions become soft
- Add the Cayenne Pepper and Paprika then mix well.
- Move your onion mixture to a bowl and allow to stand while you prepare the mushrooms.
- Finely chop both types of mushrooms, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the pan and introduce your mushrooms to the hot oil and fry on a high heat until they’re brown and softened.
- Return your onion and garlic mixture to the pan and stir in the wine if its being used then reduce the heat and allow to simmer.
- Prepare the rice as instructed by the packet. Personally, I prefer to weigh out the rice, pop it in a sieve and run under cold water for a few minutes. This removes the starch from it and the rice is far less likely to turn into a sticky, starchy goop. Then add to some boiled water and follow the instructions on the packet.
- While the Rice cooks, go back to the Stroganoff and stir in the Dijon mustard and the 200Ml of vegetable stock. Allow this a few minutes to reduce for a few minutes and then add the Crème Fraiche, lemon juice and some chopped parsley, saving some whole leaf parsley for a garnish.
- Once the rice is ready, drain and create a bed in a bowl, then add a good splodge of your creation, use the left-over parsley to make it look posh.
- Congratulations! You have just made Mushroom Stroganoff, serve, enjoy, and revel in the fact your kitchen smells amazing.