This Plant based spin on a Mexican Classic ticks all the boxes of its traditional counterpart but without leaving you with the heaviness that you get from eating the meaty equivalent, not to mention its packed with vitamins important to keep you healthy.
Although I served this with a mixed leaf and tomato salad (to keep my wife and eldest daughter happy), I personally prefer serving it with some Nachos, Salsa and Refried Beans.
1Kg of Sweet Potatoes
4 Tablespoons of pickled Jalapeno peppers
1 Brown Onion
4-5 Small Sweet Peppers
A big handful of Coriander / Cilantro
1 Tablespoon of Plant-Based butter
6 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
- With a fork, repeatedly prick the sweet potatoes and either Microwave for 10 minutes OR oven bake for an hour.
- Finely chop up the Jalapeno, Sweet Pepper, Onion and Coriander and fry in some Olive Oil until soft.
- Once the Sweet Potatoes are ready, scoop out the soft flesh into a mixing bowl and mash with your Vegan Butter until smooth.
- Mix in your chopped ingredients, add the juice of the lemon, and stir until the mixture is evenly dispersed and put to one side.
- Get the Tortilla and brush with olive oil.
- Add to a hot pan to toast on one side. This should only take about 30 seconds or so.
- Transfer your toasted Tortilla to a plate and while hot, apply your sweet potato mixture to half of the tortilla.
- Fold and gently press the toasted Tortilla until its sets in a semi-circle shape.
- Repeat the process with other Tortillas and serve with either a lovely fresh salad or some refried beans, nachos and salsa.
- Sit down, relax, consume, and enjoy.