I first came across this concept by listening to the Editor of Politics.co.uk and author Ian Dunt on a podcast. He was mocked by his co-panellists but by the gods Old and New, he had hit gold.
I use a combination of my Beef Ragu which is complimented with two jars of cheese dip (carrying on the Nacho theme) infused with Chilli Cheese instead of the Bechamel Sauce.
I heartily recommend this dish, which is relatively easy to make, reasonably economical (but not the cheapest) however, probably not the healthiest. That said, its my opinion that life is for living and carbs are for eating.
750g Beef & Pork mix mince
200g of Button Mushrooms
1 Brown Onion
2-4 Clove of Garlic (dependant on size)
1 Can of Chopped Tomatoes
500g of Passata
Large Bag of Cool Doritos (off brand doesn’t work as well)
Two tablespoons of Chipotle Paste
2 Balls of Mozzarella
Handful of grated cheddar
- Grate 100g of Chilli Cheese and add into a mixing bowl with 2 jars of Cheese Dip. Put aside until later.
- Finely chop the onions, garlic and tomatoes, then thinly slice the button mushrooms. Then put to one side.
- In a large frying pan cook the beef and pork combo until brown, place in Colander, boil a kettle of water and pour over the cooked mince and allow to drain.
- Leave some of the excess juices in the pan and add a Tablespoon of Chipotle Paste, then the add the chopped and sliced vegetables.
- Once browned and softened add tinned tomatoes, passata along with the remaining tablespoon of Chipotle Sauce then mix well. Finally add the cooked mince to the mix and stir.
- Spray some Fry Light in a large Lasagne Dish (this makes the dish easier to wash clean later) and apply the bottom layer of Ragu sauce.
- Cover this with a blanket of Doritos and cover with a layer of the pre-prepared cheese mixture.
- Add another layer of Doritos, then another layer of Ragu.
- Add the remaining Doritos to the top layer.
- Slice Mozzarella and cover the top level of Doritos, don’t worry if its not covered, Mozzarella has a low melting point and will do the job for you. Finally, sprinkle the grated cheddar over the top.
- Place into a preheated oven at 180oC for 20 minutes
- Once cooked, allow to cool for 10 minutes, this will make it easier to serve.
- Put your feet up and enjoy.